"Everywhere we go, people want to know..." (1967)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Dec 22 01:44:29 UTC 2005

I also heard this chant during today's strike. I don't know if Fred is
collecting union chants. I first heard this at summer camp during "color  war."
_http://www.laborheritage.org/chants.html_
(http://www.laborheritage.org/chants.html)
29. (Call and response)
WE ARE THE UNION - WE ARE THE UNION
MIGHTY,  MIGHTY UNION - MIGHTY, MIGHTY UNION
EVERYWHERE WE GO - EVERYWHERE WE  GO
PEOPLE WANT TO KNOW - PEOPLE WANT TO KNOW
WHO WE ARE - WHO WE ARE
SO  WE TELL THEM - SO WE TELL THEM
(go to beginning)
_Children  From Watts Get Vacation at Army Camp_
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=0&did=90590946&SrchMode=1&sid=1&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&V
Name=HNP&TS=1135215590&clientId=65882)
By NANCY J. ADLER  Special to The New York Times. New York Times
(1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Sep 3, 1967. p. 36 (1 page) :
They were marching across a parade ground, and as they marched they sang:
"Everywhere we go/People want to know/Where we come from/We are from
Watts!/Mighty, mighty Watts!"