"Curiosity killed the cat" (1901)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Feb 11 08:25:45 UTC 2005

OT: I asked the  University of Missouri's Western Historical  Manuscript
Collection what the Peter Tamony papers have on "Hawkins." The place  is
renovating, so today is the last day for requests...That thing about ProQuest  Phil
seeing his shadow and no ProQuest updates for another eight weeks. That was
supposed to be a joke.
"Care killed the cat" is earlier than "curiosity killed the cat." I see in
the Oxford Dictionary of Proverbs that "curiosity killed the cat" is traced to
Eugene O'Neill (1921). I'm away from the American Periodical Series  database.
When shopping for a new cat, always check to see if it's bi-curious.
(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
_AVALON  YOUNG WOMAN HANDCUFFED ALL DAY.; HAD COMMITTED NO CRIME, BUT
REMAINED IN IRONS.  Curiosity Got the Better of Her and She Tried to Learn the
Workings of an  Officer's "Bracelets"--Ludicrous Costumes at a Rag--time Masquerade.
RAG-TIME  MASQUERADE. SANTA CATALINA BREVITIES. _
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=0&did=326922192&SrchMode=1&sid=6&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309
&VName=HNP&TS=1108109443&clientId=65882)
Los Angeles Times  (1886. Aug 22, 1901. p. 15 (1 page)
"Curiosity killed the cat," it is said.
_"FIRE?"  NO, CURIOUS MAID.; Paragon of a Domestic Servant in Short Hills
Causes  Excitement._
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=0&did=101238051&SrchMode=1&sid=4&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=1108109038&clientId
=65882)
Special to The New York Times..  New York Times (1857-Current file). New
York, N.Y.: Jul  6, 1904. p. 9 (1 page)
But alas! she has one failing, that of curiosity, and her employers shudder
when they remember that it was curiosity that killed the cat.

(NEWSPAPERARCHIVE)
     _fitchburg_sentinel_ _
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Viewer.aspx?img=++xTpPwvmwuKID/6NLMW2qhjhpBYR+UO1SO3xrkbInKytRd1zJjrqUIF+CsZYmrz)  Thursday,
September 03, 1908 _Fitchburg,_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=city:fitchburg+killed+the+cat+AND)  _Massachusetts_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=state:massachusetts+killed+the+cat+AND)
...1 Whfiit .Srpl. Corn 79  Curiosity KILLED THE CAT. Dawaon's College
gets.....at THE funerar of Mat- THEw C. Tvas KILLED  THE qveHrurmng. of his engine at..
     _Washington Post _
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Viewer.aspx?img=wSCs6S0EhDCKID/6NLMW2qoyCVVVAnntnGY4WeSjm2dZIVxqICXOJw==)  Sunday, July 21, 1912
_Washington,_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=city:washington+killed+the+cat+AND)  _District Of Columbia_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=state:district_of_columbia+killed+the+cat+AND)
...that you have a very  curious and that KILLED THE CAT Aunt Anna I hope you
 and.....on my lap writing this letter Our CAT a bird oTHEr  THE naughty
thing I..
     _Newark Advocate _
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Viewer.aspx?img=ssVO2f5ZuruKID/6NLMW2hkS50yEYlQ/yC2o1E0X2OgbJAMUBnbw8Q==)  Saturday, October 23,
1915 _Newark,_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=city:newark+killed+the+cat+AND)  _Ohio_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=state:ohio+killed+the+cat+AND)      ...THEy say it  was curiosity that
KILLED THE CAT, but I would  like to know.....intimately and THE better THE man,
THE better qualified THE mayor,  THE..

     _Hopewell Herald _
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Viewer.aspx?img=lrCUoQlefzKKID/6NLMW2hOTmJ4yFvFotzRfNuz26G5mlpaJ8bcVoEIF+CsZYmrz)  Wednesday,
April 02, 1919 _Hopewell,_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=city:hopewell+killed+the+cat+AND)  _New Jersey_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=state:new_jersey+killed+the+cat+AND)      ...cverr
Wtintrtij n N. J  Curiosity KILLED THE CAT But Saved THE World  One.....to THE general
says Ohio State Jornal THE gi eater  THE effort to include  all..