query: Slang Words in Standard English

Fri Feb 11 15:01:04 UTC 2005

This is from the LINGUIST List,
Please do not reply to me.
http://linguistlist.org/issues/16/16-392.html

Date: 07-Feb-2005
From: Hilary Sachs <hilsachs at verizon.net>
Subject: Slang Words in Standard English

Does anyone know of any examples of slang, or otherwise colorful words that
supplanted older, standard words in English?

I'm thinking of the Romance phenomenon, where some Latin words were
replaced by Vulgar Latin slang words in the Romance languages, such as or,
oris 'mouth' (standard Latin), which fell out of use and was replaced by
bucca 'cheeks puffed out from eating'. (French bouche, Sp. boca, etc.)

I can't find any English examples. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Hilary Sachs