"Swing Low, (Sweet) Chariot" (1871, 1872); "Roll, Jordan, Roll" (1863)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Feb 14 00:21:56 UTC 2005

There's gotta be scholarship on these songs somewhere. "Traditional" just doesn't cut it anymore and shouldn't be good enough for Fred Shapiro's book.

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
A MYSTERY EXPLAINED.; WHAT A CAKE WALK AND LIVE PIGEON PIE REALLY ARE SOCIAL ENJOYMENTS IN POTTSVILLE.
New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Dec 13, 1874. p. 4 (1 page)
(Same "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot" citation as I provided yesterday--ed.)

(AMERICAN PERIODICAL SERIES ONLINE)
THE ROMANCE OF THE NEGRO.
EDWARD A. POLLARD.. The Galaxy. A Magazine of Entertaining Reading (1866-1878). New York: Oct 1871. Vol. VOL. XII., Iss. No. 4.; p. 470 (9 pages)
Last page (478):
...attest that the negro speaker is _feeling_ what he says, when he is in the full tide of exhortation, when, perchance, he sees his favorite religious phantasm, "the old ship of Zion," far away on the stormy waves, or sings, as of a longing spectator, the hymn of "Swing low, Chariot," one of the characteristic visions of the sky.

NON-PROSCRIPTIVE SCHOOLS IN THE SOUTH.
C G FAIRCHILD. Old and New (1870-1875). Boston: Feb 1874. Vol. 9, Iss. 2; p. 223 (10 pages)
Pg. 8 (230):
But a more poetic softness, a gorgeousness of fancy, a protection from dreaded enemies, a tranquil flow of social joys, characterize the negro's heaven.

"Roll, Jordan, roll!
Oh! I want to go to heaven when I die,
To hear Jordan roll,"

is a favorite song.

"Swing low, sweet chariot,
Coming for to carry me home,"

indicates the luxious ascent. A song of the resurrection with the refrain,--

"O Lord! these bones of mine
Come together in the morning,"

contains such verses as these:--

"When I git on my golden shoes,
I'll walk about heaven, and tell the news.

As I passed by the gates of hell,
I bid the Devil fare you well.

Old Satan thought he had me fast:
I broke his chains, and am free at last."

(AMERICAN PERIODICAL SERIES ONLINE)
Schools for Contrabands.
Arthur's Home Magazine (1861-1870). Philadelphia: Nov 1863. Vol. 22, Iss. 5; p. 208 (5 pages)
Pg. 209:
The prevalent song, however, heard in every school, in church, and by the way-side, is that of "John Brown," which very much amuses our white soldiers, particularly when the singers roll out,--

"We'll hang Jeff Davis on a sour apple tree!"

Other songs of the negroes are common, as, "The Wrestling Jacob," "Down in the lonesome valley," "Roll, Jordan, roll," "Heab'n shall-a be my home." Russell's "Diary" gives an account of these songs, as he heard them in his evening row over Broad River, on his way to Trescot's estate.

(OCLC WORLDCAT)
Title: Jubilee songs :
as sung by the Jubilee Singers, of Fisk University (Nashville, Tenn.) /
Author(s): Seward, Theodore F.; 1835-1902. ; (Theodore Frelinghuysen),; (Compiler - com); (Transcriber - trc); White, George L.; 1838-1895. ; (George Leonard),; (Transcriber - trc)
Corp Author(s): Jubilee Singers. ; American Missionary Association.
Publication: New York (425 Broome St.) :; Biglow & Main,
Year: 1872
Language: English
Music Type: Hymns; Multiple forms; Songs
Contents: Nobody knows the trouble I see, Lord! -- Swing low, sweet chariot -- Room enough -- O redeemed -- Roll, Jordan, roll -- Turn back Pharaoh's army -- Rise, mourners -- From every graveyard -- Children, we all shall be free -- I'm a rolling -- I'll hear the trumpet sound -- Didn't my Lord deliver Daniel -- I've just come from the fountain -- Children, you'll be called on -- Give me Jesus -- Gwine to ride up in the chariot -- We'll die in the field -- Go down, Moses -- The rocks and the mountains -- Been a listening -- Keep me from sinking down ; I'm a trav'ling to the grave / [Robbins Battell] -- Many thousand gone -- Steal away.
 SUBJECT(S)
Descriptor: Choruses, Sacred (Mixed voices), Unaccompanied -- Scores.
Spirituals (Songs)
Note(s): For unison or SATB chorus, unacc. or with piano./ "Introduction, by the American Missionary Association" ([4] p. at end) signed by E.M. Cravath./ "The words were taken down ... by Mr. [Geo. L.] White ... and the music was reduced to writing by Theo. F. Seward"--Introd./ List of the members of the Jubilee Singers: Page [2] of introd.
Class Descriptors: LC: M2081
Responsibility: under the auspices of the American Missionary Association.
Document Type: Score
Entry: 19891104
Update: 20030904
Accession No: OCLC: 20598086