children's chants--Rise SAlly

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Mon Feb 14 22:29:16 UTC 2005

On Feb 14, 2005, at 9:51 AM, Ed Keer wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Ed Keer <edkeer at YAHOO.COM>
> Subject:      Re: children's chants--Rise SAlly
> --------
>
> Leadbelly recorded a version of this in the 40s as
> Little Sally Walker.

This sort of thing used to be quite common. Even as recently as the
'60's, a version of "Here We Go Looby-Loo" was recorded by Robert "Bob
B. Soxx" Breen (a fellow St. Louisan) & The Blue Jeans as "Here We Go
Loop-de-Loop." Around the same time, a recording was made of "Putting
and Ta'en," "Putnin-Tane," "Puddin-Tane," or however you may remember
it from your childhood.

-Wilson Gray