"Spending money they don't have to impress people they don't like" (1928, Will Rogers?)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Feb 14 06:35:47 UTC 2005

IMPRESS PEOPLE  THEY DON'T LIKE--1,330 Google hits, 156 Google Groups hits

Is this from Will Rogers? I came across it in a book about New York.

NEW YORK CITY FOLKLORE:
LEGENDS, TALL TALES, ANECDOTES, STORIES, SAGAS, HEROES AND CHARACTERS, CUSTOMS, TRADITIONS AND SAYINGS
edited by B. A. Botkin
New York: Random House
1956

Pg. 3: Fifth Avenue is a street where a lot of people spend money they haven't earned buying things they don't need to impress people they don't like.
(Footnote One: From _New York and the State It's In_, Stories and pictures arranged by Keith Jennison,...1949--ed.)

(GOOGLE)
Quotes of Will Rogers
... Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want,
to impress people they don't like. ... Will Rogers (1879-1935). ...
twotrees.www.50megs.com/attic/quotes/rogers.html - 7k - Cached - Similar pages

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
PEN POINTS
Los Angeles Times (1886-Current File). Los Angeles, Calif.: Jun 4, 1928. p. A4 (1 page):
Americanism: Using money you haven't earned to buy things you don't need to impress people you don't like.

(NEWSPAPERARCHIVE)
24 January 1929, The Bee (Danville, VA), pg. 6, col. 3:
How many people do you know who are spending money they have not yet earned for things they don't need to impress people they don't like.

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
Other 13 -- No Title
Christian Science Monitor (1908-Current file). Boston, Mass.: Sep 14, 1938. p. 17 (1 page)
_Federal Employees Insurance News:_ One of the troubles of this modern age is that too many people are spending money they have not yet earned for things they do not need, to impress people they don't like.

EMILE GAUVREAU, EX-EDITOR, IS DEAD; Chief of Sensational Graphic and of The Mirror 'Made' News, Doctored Photos Depicted an Era Worked for The Courant With Russian Mission
>From drawing made some years ago by James Montgomery Flagg.. New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Oct 17, 1956. p. 35 (1 page):
Mr. Gavreau recalled that "I was part of that strange race of people aptly described as spending their lives doing things they detest to make money they don't want to buy things they don't need to impress people they don't like."

On Finding a Life in a Living
Christian Science Monitor (1908-Current file). Boston, Mass.: Oct 30, 1956. p. 20 (1 page):
A recent newspaper obituary quotes a former editor whose contributions ot journalism had made him perhaps less than an ornament of the craft:

I was part of that strange race of people aptly described as spending their lives doing things they detest to make money they don't want to buy things they don't need to impress people they don't like.

Today's Chuckle
The Washington Post and Times Herald (1954-1959). Washington, D.C.: Jun 26, 1958. p. B1 (1 page):
People are funny:  They spend money they don't have, to buy things they don't need, to impress people they don't like.