"penny" pre-1831 for 'U.S. cent'?

Sam Clements SClements at NEO.RR.COM
Tue Feb 15 23:47:41 UTC 2005

My philatelic background says the "penny post" was a strictly English term.
As the resident numismatist on the board(but by no means the scholar when it
comes to numismatic terms), I"ll search my library.

Sam Clements
----- Original Message -----
From: "Baker, John" <JMB at STRADLEY.COM>
To: <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Sent: Tuesday, February 15, 2005 3:36 PM
Subject: Re: "penny" pre-1831 for 'U.S. cent'?

>         I took a look at the older Westlaw cases.  There are frequent uses
of English and American money in the same discussions.  I don't have any
doubt that George's 1807, 1821, and 1818 citations refer (literally or
rhetorically) to the English penny.  The 1828 citation might be to the
American cent - we need to know whether the cost of the post was one cent or
one English penny, or if there was some other reason why it was called the
penny post.