Barry's spotting of 1906 "Hot diggetty!" and "Hot dog!"

Cohen, Gerald Leonard gcohen at UMR.EDU
Tue Feb 22 23:19:51 UTC 2005

Barry's earlier message is very valuable for indicating that the original expression "Hot (diggety) dog" might have referred to to clothing rather than sausages.
But when I look over the 1906 item he reproduces, I find "Hot diggety" and "Hot dog" but not the two put together in "Hot diggetty dog." No doubt this is a quibble, and "Hot diggetty dog" can be inferred from the two interjections actually used. Still, unless I've overlooked something, it's not there. Which leaves 1913 as the earliest attestation thus far spotted for "hot diggetty dog" (with "hot" spelled "hod"). That 1913 item, as I mentioned in an ads-l message earlier today, was also first spotted by Barry.

  Below my signoff is an excerpt from his earlier message, with 1906 "Hot diggetty!" and "Hot dog!"

Gerald Cohen

[1906 cartoon, presented by Barry in an earlier ads-l message]:
PANEL ONE:  MOTHER TO BARRETT:  BARRETT!  I WANT YOU!  I WANT YOU TO TRY ON A NEW PAIR OF TROUSERS I'VE BOUGHT FOR YOU.  COME IN!   PANEL TWO:  MOTHER:  MERCY!  YOU'RE AS TALL AS PAPA.  WELL, THEY FIT ALL RIGHT AND YOU MUST WEAR THEM, YOU ARE TOO BIG TO WEAR SHORT PANTS.   PANEL THREE:  MOTHER:  NOW, GO TO SCHOOL, BARRETT. AND BE A LITTLE GENTLEMAN, FOR YOU ARE A YOUNG MAN AND NOT A BOY.  DO YOU UNDERSTAND?   PANEL FOUR:  [Pants and legs starts growing in the next five panels.  The other children at school are amazed--B. Popik]  BARRETT:  HOD DIGGETTY.  THEY'RE SWELL!  HOT DOG!  JUST THE THING!  EH.  THEY FEEL GREAT!  HOT DIGGETTY!  WHEE! [snip]

        [snip]
> HOT DIGGETY DOG--I found "hot diggety (dog)" in Winsor McCay's "Dreams of the Rarebit Fiend" in the NY Evening Telegram, 20 September 1906. I had spent several weeks going through all of McCay the old-fashioned way. I mentioned that here at least twice. No one remembers? No one checks the archives?

[snip]