hollo / hullo/ hello / hi / hey as simple greetings

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Wed Feb 23 02:18:31 UTC 2005

OED does a less than satisfactory job with "hello" and variants used as simple greetings rather than calls to people at a distance - or interjections of surprise.  Part of the reason is no doubt the ambiguity of  early exx.

Many of you will be familiar with the widespread canard that "hello" was invented by Thomas Edison specifically for use on the newfangled telephone.

Here is an early example of "hollo!" that looks like a simple greeting.  (Naturally, not all doubt can be removed.)

1841 Leman Rede Sixteen-String Jack (London: G. H. Davidson, n.d.) 36 [characters nearly face to face] "Hollo, old boy!  I'm glad to see you back again!"

"Hi !" has followed an identical course. OED's 1862 may be misplaced, however. And what's the word "car" doing in 1885?  It doesn't seem to be a railway car.

By the time we get to F. Scott Fitzgerald in 1920, the cite for "Hi !" shows unmistakably  the current usage.

OED doesn't include the universal Southern U.S. "hey!" as an exact equivalent of "hi!"  Dating this accurately will also be difficult.  (I once thought only Gomer Pyle said it. Travel *is* broadening.)

JL