"Walking on eggshells" (1900, 1922)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Jan 16 06:55:20 UTC 2005

TSUNAMI--William Safire's column this Sunday is on "tsunami." He gives the
Hearn quote as 1897 and not 1896.

WALKING ON EGGSHELLS--41,600 Google hits, 7.030 Google Groups hits
WALKING ON EGG SHELLS--5,970 Google hits, 978 Google Groups hits
I saw some promos for the American version on the IRON CHEF television  show.
The promos said that you'll be "walking on eggshells."
What's the deal with eggshells? I tried the STARS AND STRIPES in the
American Memory database, but appear to have come up with bad hits for 1918 and  1919.
(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
_FEW  TO WITNESS THE CLIMAX; Final Convention Thrills Staged Before Only 800
Spectators. DETAILS OF COX LANDSLIDE Colorado's Switch Marked the Moment When
 the Ohioan's Victory Became Assured. TEXAS HEADED COX PARADE McAdoo's
Stanchest  Supporters Carried Lone Star Standard to Strains of "Ohio! Ohio!"
Relatively Few  Saw the Climax. Hopes of Late Stayers Revived. FEW TO WITNESS THE
CLIMAX Ready  for Forty-fourth Ballot. Fear of a Bryan Speech Dispelled. Taggart
Plumps for  Cox. Colorado's Switch Proves Decisive. Texas Leads the Cox
Parade. _
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=0&did=102866792&SrchMode=1&sid=2&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=1105854115&clientId=65882)
Special to The New York Times.. New York Times (1857. Jul 7, 1920. p. 1 (2
pages)
(I couldn't find it easily here--ed.)

_BRIAND  AND GEORGE CONFER AT CANNES_
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=1&did=519685022&SrchMode=1&sid=2&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&T
S=1105855773&clientId=65882)
The Atlanta Constitution  (1881-2001). Atlanta, Ga.: Jan 5, 1922. p. 3 (1
page)
"The situation is delicate," said Loucheur just before the informal session
began. "We are walking on eggshells and we cannot continue in this way. We
must  come to some definite decisions on many questions."
(NEWSPAPERARCHIVE)
     _Atlanta Constitution _
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Viewer.aspx?img=wSCs6S0EhDCKID/6NLMW2nSRkRoZrWvdWBb611kQhR8jbtL4V7NJxQ==)  Thursday, May 03,
1900 _Atlanta,_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=city:atlanta+walking+on+egg+shells+AND)  _Georgia_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=state:georgia+walking+on+egg+shells+AND)
...gait of a man who IR  WALKING ON EGG SHELLS From Mitchell the man
turn.....of th3 bare- footed man He was not WALKING for nor was he  going without..
Pg. 7, col.  2:
The barefooted man  started at the corner of Pryor and Mitchell streets. He
placed one toe  tentatively on the hot brick pavement in front of him, eased
the full  weight of one leg slowly down as one who tries cold water before
taking a  swim at this season of the year, and was soon off down the street with
the  mincing gait of a man who is walking on egg shells.
..
(NYPL)
    Author _Simmons,  Herbert._
(http://catnyp.nypl.org/search/aSimmons,+Herbert./asimmons+herbert/-5,-1,0,B/browse)    Title Man walking on eggshells.
Imprint Boston, Houghton Mifflin  [c1962]