Scrunter

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Jan 16 07:45:47 UTC 2005

SCRUNTER--3,840 Google hits, 102 Google Groups hits
(Not in OED)
On Saturday, I tried Mama Jean's. 536 Ninth Avenue (between 39th and 40th
Streets), "The taste of Trinidad & Tobago with the soul of the Caribbean."  The
"Scrunters Special" ($7) was "stewed chicken served with peas and rice or
white rice and salad." I was told "scrunter" is a poor person who scrambles for
a living. I had the "roti," which was very good.
Othe dishes include accra, shandon bene shrimp, doubles, buccoo belly-full,
paramin pork, and pelau.
_http://www.nydailynews.com/city_life/story/268712p-230143c.html_
(http://www.nydailynews.com/city_life/story/268712p-230143c.html)
At age 80, Dominique St. Hillaire can still take the heat and has no desire
to leave the kitchen. That's where she is every day (except Sunday) cooking
lunch and dinner at Mama Jean's, a West Indian restaurant at 536 Ninth Ave.
(between 39th and 40th Sts.). The menu at the snug spot includes island eats she
 grew up on in Trinidad, says co-owner Fedner La Chapelle, her son.
Specialties  include braised oxtails and Soca Sunday, a homey dish of stewed chicken
served  with macaroni pie, stewed peas and rice.
Originally published on January 7, 2005

(NEWSPAPERARCHIVE)
     _Daily Gleaner _
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Viewer.aspx?img=9qnHh8I+Pl6KID/6NLMW2lHP7jjKKTg8Bq1tjw67nfJQGZhvGBj3c0IF+CsZYmrz)  Thursday,
February 25, 1982 _Kingston,_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=city:kingston+scrunter)  _Kingston_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=state:kingston+scrunter)      ...virtually incident free.  Calypsonian
SCRUNTER, warming the hearts of.....off the 1982  calypso monarch crown.
SCRUNTER dethroned last year's  winner..
_Daily Gleaner _
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Viewer.aspx?img=9qnHh8I+Pl6KID/6NLMW2tngo9VDqiL2X2nYiD3zsyqiaZWG2PmcqkIF+CsZYmrz)  Sunday, March 02, 1980
_Kingston,_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=city:kingston+scrunter)  _Kingston_