New York Post Research Need

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Fri Jan 21 16:51:08 UTC 2005

I wonder whether Barry Popik or George Thompson or some other New York
City ADS-Ler might be willing to look something up for me in the microfilm
of the New York Post.  I realize this is a big imposition, so I will
understand if the answer is no.

I am trying to trace Woodrow Wilson's alleged remark after screening the
film Birth of a Nation:  "It is like writing history in lightning.  My
only regret is that it is all so terribly true."  According to Russell
Merritt, "Dixon, Griffith, and the Southern Legend," Cinema Journal 12:
26-45 (1972), "This famous remark was first quoted in the New York Post,
March 4, 1915."  This is the citation I would like to verify, as well as
checking that the exact wording as given above is correct.

Fred Shapiro