Acka-backa, soda cracker

Sat Jan 29 07:01:20 UTC 2005

Another bowdlerized one from youth --

The grade school version of the Daniel Boone Show
theme song went:

Daniel Boone was a man,
Yes a big man,
But the bear was bigger
so he ran like a n-----
up a tree

which cleaned up to:

ran like a rabbit up a tree.

I went to a neighborhood elementary school which was essentially
all caucasian until after I reached third grade, at which time
court-ordered busing integrated it.  It was that year that I learned
that the n-word was not just a word that you were careful who you said
it around, but was a word that would get your ass whooped.  A lot
of rhymes got "cleaned up"  that year.