Sexual expressions regarding black women

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Mon Jan 31 03:10:10 UTC 2005

I first heard the "Black/back" saying in July, 1971, at the LSA Summer
Linguistics Institute. A white woman from Cleveland, Tennessee, said,
"My daddy told me, 'Once you try black, you never go back.'"

In those days, Cleveland, TN, was best known as the place where white
students rioting against "forced integration" parodied the call -
response,  "See you later, alligator - After 'while, crocodile" as "See
you later, integrator - After 'while, chocolate chile."

-Wilson Gray