antedatings: "tough luck," "oohs and ahs"

Dennis R. Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Tue Jul 5 17:02:21 UTC 2005

It's not a paradox if we jump back and forth between the metaphorical
and literal sense (which apparently these fourth-graders were able to
do easily). Tough titty = metaphor for "too bad,' "bad luck," tough
luck." Tough titty =  literally one difficult (or uncomfortable) to
withdraw milk (but it's still good).

Ahhh! Youth.

dInIs

--