antedatings: "tough luck," "oohs and ahs"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Jul 5 17:02:31 UTC 2005

At 9:23 AM -0700 7/5/05, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>This sounds like a paradox.  What can be good about tough luck?
>
>JL

Indeed, unlike the milk, the tough titties *aren't* good--whence the
*but* and the *still*.

As far as the titration question, I think I recall hearing both
(although not the...ditty) way back when.  Current plebiscite yields
"tough titty" over "tough titties" in a reasonably competitive
contest, 6440 to 4890.