another weirdly generalized "ironically"

Tue Jul 12 14:26:38 UTC 2005

Larry notes:

In trying to come up with a non-baseball analogy, I came up with this:

"I forgot to bring my umbrella to work with me today, and ironically
enough it rained."

Even "coincidentally" or "curiously enough" doesn't work as a
paraphrase here.  Maybe "predictably" would work instead, but that
doesn't seem particularly ironic.  It seems to me that Cano hitting a
game-winning home run would have been a better example of irony.
<<<

Trying to think of what I would use in such circumstances, I came up with
several non-adverbial parentheticals --

        "... and wouldn't you know it, it rained."
        "... naturally ..."
        "... of course ..."

 -- all of which , or at least the last two, are used ironically here.

mark by hand