"bread" undated as "money" in HDAS

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jul 21 05:08:45 UTC 2005

I can't document the date, but I do have a story. In St. Louis, during
the summer of 1950, I was mugged by two "big boys" - older teens. They
grabbed me from behind, dragged me into a conveniently-located alley.
While one held my arms, the one in front began punching me and
demanding, "Give up the bread, man! Give up the bread!" I had no idea
what it was that they wanted, since I had no bread, as any fool could
plainly have seen. In fact, I was carrying nothing. Finally, one of
them turned my pockets inside out, the two scooped up the bills and
change, and, to paraphrase slightly an old R&B song, "they grabbed
they Stutsun hats and then they fleed the scene."

As I was getting myself together, it came to me: "bread = cooked
dough"; "dough" = "money"!

-Wilson Gray