aw-right

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Jun 14 14:46:19 UTC 2005

At 6:36 AM -0700 6/14/05, James Smith wrote:
>Anyway, the word is "awright".

and only when it *is* a word.  So,

"The kids are all right/alright/ = awright"  (= 'they're fine, no prob')
"The kids are all right/*alright/*= awright" (= 'none of them are wrong')

Which supports the utility of the non-standard but popular "alright"
spelling indicating wordhood, especially given the parallel to:

"The kids are {already/*all ready} gone"  [for me, opt. = "awready"]
"The kids are {all ready/*already} to go" [for me, =/= "awready"]

Larry