making it across the pond?

David Bowie db.list at PMPKN.NET
Fri Jun 24 13:23:48 UTC 2005

From:    Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU>

> Reprinted below is the conclusion of yesterday's NYT Op-Ed by Thomas
> Friedman, in which the columnist is imagining the difference it would
> make to GWB's policies if his vice president, instead of being Dick
> Cheney, were someone who intended to run for president him- or
> herself--and, to my ear, were also someone who'd spent a lot of time
> in Britain:

<snip the clip for bandwidth>

> This led me to wonder whether "dog's breakfast" has become standard
> U.S. usage...

I don't recall ever running across it before i read Friedman's column
(which runs in the Orlando Sentinel) the other day, but i just thought
that given the context it was a fairly clear image for what he was
getting at. Didn't know it was British, and it didn't sound (look?) like
a Britishism to me at the time.

<snip>

--
David Bowie                                         http://pmpkn.net/lx