Browncoats

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Jun 25 13:15:25 UTC 2005

Browncoats?
Where is the ADS "Buffy" guy when you need him?
_http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/005/757fhfxg.as
p_
(http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/005/757fhfxg.asp)

The Browncoats Rise Again
The best sci-fi TV series you've never seen has gone from  cancellation to
the big screen. Will a never-tried marketing strategy work  for "Serenity"?
by M.E. Russell
06/24/2005 12:00:00 AM

Portland, May 26, 10:00 p.m.
"HI, MY NAME IS JOSS  WHEDON. Before we begin the special screening, I have a
little story  I want to tell you. It's about a TV show called Firefly."
I'm sitting in a movie theater in Portland and along with 200  other fans,
I'm staring at a 20-foot-tall projection of the bleary,  peanut-shaped head of
Joss Whedon--creator of Buffy the Vampire  Slayer; he's snarkily introducing
Serenity--the  partially-completed film we're about to watch. We're paying to
see  this unfinished movie four months before its release date. It's the  second
of three rounds of sold-out sneak-preview screenings,  scheduled for May 5
and 26 and June 23 in major cities.
It's an unprecedented way to market a movie. But then,  Serenity itself is
unusual: It's a big-screen sequel to a  canceled TV show named Firefly--a
space-Western that was the  biggest bomb of Whedon's producing career.
"Firefly went on the air two years ago," the giant Whedon  continues, "and
was immediately hailed by critics as one of the most  canceled shows of the
year."
Everyone laughs.
"It was ignored and abandoned, and the story should end  there--but it
doesn't. Because the people who made the show and the  people who saw the
show--which is, roughly, the same number of  people--fell in love with it a little bit.
Too much to let it go. .  . . In Hollywood, people like that are called
unrealistic, quixotic,  obsessive. In my world, they're called 'Browncoats.'"
(Firefly fans call themselves "Browncoats," for reasons I'll  explain in a minute.)

(...)

In Firefly's case, the "galaxy far, far away" is a solar  system humanity is
colonizing after the Earth's demise. East and West have  mingled to the degree
that people dress like cowboys and curse in Chinese.  The Han Solo character
is Capt. Malcolm Reynolds (Nathan Fillion)--a  smuggler who led a group of
soldiers (called "Browncoats") on the losing  side of a galactic civil war. And
Reynolds' Millennium Falcon is  the Serenity--a cargo ship that's home to nine
bickering  outlaws.
_Browncoats : Official Serenity Fan Site :  welcome_
(http://www.google.com/url?sa=U&start=1&q=http://browncoats.serenitymovie.com/serenity/&e=912)
Join the official Serenity community,  The Browncoats, now and access ...
In Serenity,  Browncoats are Independent Faction soldiers, a body opposed to
the  ...
browncoats.serenitymovie.com/serenity/ - 25k - Jun  23, 2005 - _Cached_
(http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:fodxl39Rx9UJ:browncoats.serenitymovie.com/sere
nity/+browncoats&hl=en&start=1&ie=UTF-8)  - _Similar pages_
(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=related:browncoats.serenitymovie.com/serenity
/)
_BrownCoats.com_
(http://www.google.com/url?sa=U&start=3&q=http://www.browncoats.com/&e=912)
FAQ and  knowledge base that includes information on episodes, cast,
characters,
language and fandom.
www.browncoats.com/ - 6k - Jun 23, 2005 -  _Cached_
(http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:x4GlmHL_OjkJ:www.browncoats.com/+browncoats&hl=en&start=3&ie=UTF-8