"Realtor" (1915-1916) and Charles N. Chadbourn(e)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Jun 25 12:58:35 UTC 2005

"Realtor" is a great Americanism. OED will revise the entry soon.
Was it coined in 1915 or 1916? By Charles N. Chadbourn or Charles N.
Chadbourne? Could OED verify the spelling of his name?
(OED)
Realtor
U.S.
[f. _REALT(Y2_
(http://dictionary.oed.com/cgi/crossref?query_type=word&queryword=realtor&first=1&max_to_show=10&single=1&sort_type=alpha&xrefword=realt(y&ho
monym_no=2)   + _-OR_
(http://dictionary.oed.com/cgi/crossref?query_type=word&queryword=realtor&first=1&max_to_show=10&single=1&sort_type=alpha&xrefword=-or
) .]
A proprietary term in the U.S. for a real-estate agent or  broker who belongs
to the National Association of Realtors (formerly the  National Association
of Real Estate Boards). Also gen., an estate agent.

1916 C. N. CHADBOURN in Nat. Real Estate Jrnl. 15 Mar. 111/2, I propose that
the National Association adopt a professional title to be conferred upon its
members which they shall use to distinguish them from outsiders. That this
title  be copyrighted and defended by the National Association against misuse...
I  therefore, propose that the National Association adopt and confer upon its
 members, dealers in realty, the title of realtor (accented on the first
syllable). 1922 _S.  LEWIS_ (http://dictionary.oed.com/help/bib/oed2-l.h
tml#s-lewis)  Babbitt xiii. 157 We  ought to insist that folks call us ‘realtors’ and
not ‘real-estate men’. Sounds  more like a reg'lar profession. 1925 _O. W.
HOLMES_ (http://dictionary.oed.com/help/bib/oed2-h3.html#o-w-holmes)  Let. 17
Dec. in  Holmes-Laski Lett. (1953) I. 807 These realtors, as they call
themselves, I presume are  influential. 1929 Sun (Baltimore) 8 Jan. 26/3 (heading)
Realtors doubt plan for Fox Theater here. 1931 Evening  Standard 25 Apr. 15/2
(heading) ‘Realtor’  recommends Surrey. 1934 _E.  POUND_
(http://dictionary.oed.com/help/bib/oed2-p3.html#e-pound)  Eleven New Cantos xxxv. 23 His Wife now
acts as his model and the Egeria Has, let us say,  married a realtor. 1942 Amer.
 Speech XVII. 209/2 The ambitious realtor's  favorites, the over~worked
[street names] Grand, Broadway, and Inspiration. 1948 Official  Gaz. (U.S. Patent
Office) 14 Sept. 340/2 National  Association of Real Estate Boards, Chicago,
Ill... Service Mark.  Realtors. For services in connection with the brokerage of
real estate...  Claims use since Mar. 31, 1916. 1962 _R. B.  FULLER_
(http://dictionary.oed.com/help/bib/oed2-f2.html#r-b-fuller)  Epic Poem on
Industrialization 139 The organized religions The world's premier realtors. 1969 Parade
(N.Y.) 14 Dec. 18/2 The  realtor who sold most of the property to the hippies
has had her office windows  smashed. 1970 Globe  & Mail (Toronto) 25 Sept. 40/2
(Advt.), Metro  wide established realtor with country wide referral contacts.
1973 R. C. DENNIS Sweat of Fear ix. 59 The  realtor said... ‘Let me point out
some of the features of this lovely, lovely  home.’ 1979 Tucson  Mag. Apr.
33/3 Included are..bankers and lawyers;  social and political activists;
professors and artists, renovators and  historians, journalists and realtors.
(PROQUEST HISTORICAL  NEWSPAPERS)
_Editorial  of the Day; WHAT IS A "REALTOR"? _
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=0&did=382971121&SrchMode=1&sid=6&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VN
ame=HNP&TS=1119703375&clientId=65882)
Chicago Daily Tribune  (1872-1963). Chicago, Ill.: Dec 18, 1916. p. 8 (1
page)
_URGES  FIGHT IN COURTS TO SAVE TERM REALTOR; Alan Who Coined Word Asks That
It  Be-Protected-Association Picks San Francisco. _
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=2&did=192376652&SrchMode=1&sid=6&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=30
9&VName=HNP&TS=1119703375&clientId=65882)
The  Washington Post (1877-1954). Washington, D.C.: Mar 9, 1922. p. 2 (1
page)  :
C. N. Chadbourne, of Minneapolis, who coined the term, protested  against its
indiscriminate use.
_'REALTOR'  IN'WORD TEST.:; Girl, 14, Wins 'by 8pllin Iti Correctly -- Ori$1n
Explained. ! _
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=3&did=93469326&SrchMode=1&sid=2&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=1119703729&clientId=65
882)
New York Times (1857-Current file). New York,  N.Y.: May 26, 1935. p. RE6 (1
page)
The occasion led Walter C. Piper, head of a realty firm bearing his  name in
Detroit, to recall the fact that in reply to his request for suggestions  in
1915 Charles N. Chadbourne of Minneapolis proposed that the National
Association of Real Estate Boards adopt the word "realtor" to designate the  active
members of the association. Mr. Piper was president of the association at  that
time.
_Court  Enjoins Unauthorized Use of 'Realtor'; Coined Word Held to Be
Valuable Property  Right of Board Members. _
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=7&did=240267112&SrchMode=1&sid=2&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS
=1119703729&clientId=65882)
The Washington Post  (1877-1954). Washington, D.C.: Apr 26, 1936. p. R10 (1
page)
It cited  further that ever since the term was donated to the National
Association of Real  Estate Boards by the Minneapolis Real Estate Board, whose
member, Charles N.  Chadbourne, coined the word,...