FYI: "Hot dog" wrong again (6-29-2005)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Wed Jun 29 20:19:30 UTC 2005

"He couldn't spell dachshund, so he called them 'hot dogs.'"

I can't spell "formidable," so from now on I'll call it "brontosaurus."

JL

bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: bapopik at AOL.COM
Subject: FYI: "Hot dog" wrong again (6-29-2005)

I did this TEN YEARS ago. I have never been credited in a July 4th newspaper article. So, now that Gerald Cohen and lectured on it and published a book, why should this year be any different?

Food

July Fourth weekend is approaching ... It's time for cookouts, sparklers and fun ; HOT DIGGITY-DOG; All-American weiner takes center stage on July's grill

SUE GLEITER
Of The Patriot-News
1,038 words
Patriot-News
FINAL
D01
English
Copyright (c) 2005 Bell & Howell Information and Learning Company. All rights reserved.

Hot dog, it's July Fourth weekend. And that means it's time to crank up the grill.
The patriotic holiday is tops for grilling out and, according to experts, it's a time when hot dogs rule. During the three-day weekend, which is the biggest hot dog eating occasion of the year, it's estimated that 155 million franks will be consumed
Weber, the company that sells grills, recently did a survey and found out 86 percent of those surveyed have grilled hot dogs in the past year, second only to hamburgers. That's alot.
So what if hot dogs don't have much culinary cachet? Food snobs turn their noses up at them, and as far as cooking technique goes, hot dogs are a no-brainer.
But everyone agrees hot dogs go with summer cookouts. They're all- American and steeped in tradition.
So here we've assembled fun facts and tidbits, a guide to everything hot dogs.
* July is National Hot Dog Month. According to the National Hot Dog and Sausage Council, Americans will consume 7 billion hot dogs between Memorial Day and Labor Day.
* The hot dog got its name in 1901 when sports cartoonist Ted Dorgan sketched vendors selling "dachshund sausages" at a baseball game in New York. He couldn't spell dachshund, so he called them "hot dogs."