Antedating of "rag top" ? 1926

Sam Clements SClements at NEO.RR.COM
Tue Mar 1 02:42:59 UTC 2005

The OED has 1955, for the meaning of a car with a convertible top.  M-W has 1953.

While this is possibly not acceptible as meaning a "convertible"

both M-W and OED may find it useful.  I'm not into cars of the period.

>From Newspaperarchive, 26 May 1926  _San Mateo(CA) Times_  pg 7(Auto section), col. 2

<< "...more than one-half of all open cars sold during 1925 at prices of more than $1000 each, were Studebaker duplex phaetons and roadsters, the cars that have made the old fashioned 'rag top' automobile entirely obsolete." >>

Sam Clements