FRIGIDAIRE and KLEENEX (was ICE BOX)

Tue Mar 1 03:34:09 UTC 2005

In a message dated 2/28/05 8:40:55 PM, sagehen at WESTELCOM.COM writes:

> I agree.  In fact I made much the same argument in an exchange on another
> list."Frigidaire" was one of those inspired brand names like "Kleenex" that
> became the generic. It may not be so universally used now as it was in the
> 40s & 50s, since now we just say "fridge."

Neither "Frigidaire" nor "Kleenex" is "the generic." "Refrigerator" is
clearly "the generic" and has a shorthand form, "fridge" (cf. "televison" and
"telly"). "Frigidaire" is a brand name that is found on all manner of major
appliances, not just those that keep things cold.

"Kleenex" is a trademark, not a "generic," though people do indeed use it as
a shorthand for the generic "(paper) tissue." Surely there are very few people
who would not understand a request for a "tissue," or would be mystified
about such phrases and sentences as "a box of tissues" or "She used a tissue to
dry her eyes." Likewise, few people would be confused if asked to purchase
"Kleenex rubber panties" or "Kleenex cocktail napkins."