Time magazine digital archives, and more

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Mar 1 07:51:23 UTC 2005

On 22 February 2005, Fred Shapiro posted:
My longstanding theory that the terms "preppie," "jock," and "wonk"  all
had their origins in a traditional tripartite division of Harvard  students
seems to be holding up pretty well, although the earliest Harvard  usage of
"wonk" is not quite as old as the oldest known citation.   Incidentally, I
saw somewhere that subscribers to Time get access to a  historical archive
of that magazine...

Fred Shapiro

_http://www.researchbuzz.org/time_magazine_archives_now_available_on_timecom_.
shtml_
(http://www.researchbuzz.org/time_magazine_archives_now_available_on_timecom_.shtml)

December 22, 2004

TIME Magazine Archives Now Available on TIME.com
TIME magazine has now made its 81 years of archives available, over 266,000
articles. The archives have their own domain at _http://www.timearchive.com_
(http://www.timearchive.com/)  .
The archive is keyword and date-searchable, with an additional search for
covers. A search for "Jimmy Carter" found over 2700 articles. Articles are
listed with title, date, byline, snippet, and article word count.
When I went to view an article, I was surprised to see that I could! But it
was a Web article I was looking at. When I tried to look at a non-Web article,
I  got the first paragraph or so and a note that if I were a TIME subscriber
I  would have full archive access for free.
The subscription is $1.99 for the first 12 issues, and then about $15 for six
 months. That's not bad at all. But if you don't want to do that, look for
the  option that says "Click here to see other purchase options". Individual
articles  are $2.50 and an annual
subscription are $49.95.
December 22, 2004

Argus Digital Collection Indexed from 1894-2003
I love it when someone submits a resource and I ask them to submit it again
when it's a little further along and they actually DO -- over a year later!
Illinois Wesleyan University's newspaper, The Argus, has been published
continuously since 1894. And now the archives from the newspaper from 1894-2003
are now available. You can check them out at
_http://www.iwu.edu/library/services/argus1.htm_ (http://www.iwu.edu/library/services/argus1.htm)  .
A list of indexed terms are available from 1965-2003, so those are the only
dates available for keyword searching. All the papers are browsable, though,
by  date.
I searched for the phrase Jimmy Carter. I got three results. Results list
only the dates. Click on the icon next to the date and you'll get an image of
the front page. Click again and you'll get the complete issue as a PDF,
including advertisements, which are always interesting years after the fact.  Even
the earlier editions of the paper are pretty easy to read, though the
photographs in the early 80s volumes I looked at were pretty rough.
February 25, 2005

* An Index of Mad Magazine  Covers
It's hard to believe that you used to be able to go to the Fast Fare and buy
Cracked, Crazy, and Mad magazine at the same time. It's been ages since I've
read any of them, so it was a tidal wave of nostalgia when I came across the
Mad  Magazine cover archive at
_http://www.collectmad.com/madcoversite/index-covers.html_ (http://www.collectmad.com/madcoversite/index-covers.html)   .
All the covers are here from #1 in 1952 to #451 in March 2005. All the ones I
 looked at also had a table of contents of what was available in the issue. I
 wish the cover images were a little larger but they're still great.
In addition to the cover images, this site also has tv and movie satire
lists, ad satire lists, a very short quiz, and a bunch of Mad-related links. A
lot of work was put into this. Timesink!
December 01, 2004

The Scotsman Launches a Digital Archive
The Scotsman has launched a digital archive of their newspaper going back to
1817 and going through 1900. Though it does cost to access articles,
searching  is fahree and there's a sample of content available.
The archive's at _http://tinyurl.com/5xjuo_ (http://tinyurl.com/5xjuo)
(sorry, the original URL is  enormous.) Searching is by simple keyword. A search
for "Frodo" found 31  results. Results included the headline from the article
found, the date and page  from which the result it drawn, and the number of
results in the article. If  you'd like to see the item, you have several options,
from a 24-hour pass for  £5.95 to a one-year pass for £109.95.
In addition to the search, the archive also contains the history of The
Scotsman and a fahree sample issue (the first issue of the paper!) If you'd
rather browse than search, a calendar of issues is available. Nicely done and  not
a bad price -- I like all the options for access.
December 01, 2004

Online Database of Scots Texts Available
It's called SCOTS, and it stands for Scottish Corpus of Texts and Speech. It
includes about 400 texts from Scots to Scottish English. It was assembled by
the  Arts and Humanities Research Board and it's available at
_http://www.scottishcorpus.ac.uk/_ (http://www.scottishcorpus.ac.uk/)  .
The site is searchable by several different factors, including word (of
course), author, gender, area of birth or residence, and year composed. A search
for "richt" found 112 results, with results listing title, author, and
multimedia.
I took a look at Daft Jackie ("Folk kent for miles aboot that Duncan
Dungarroch wisnae hauf as bricht as the beer he brewed.") The text is presented
complete, with the word for which you searched highlighted. It looks like most  of
these writings are fairly short.
There were some items which were transcriptions and were marked with "audio"
in the multimedia portion of the search results. Each of the lines on these
transcriptions were clickable, but I wasn't able to generate any audio from
them, even viewing them in Internet Explorer. Perhaps you will have better luck
 than me.