"snow day" superstitions

Jesse Sheidlower jester at PANIX.COM
Thu Mar 3 18:02:41 UTC 2005

On Thu, Mar 03, 2005 at 09:23:44AM -0800, Jonathan Lighter wrote:

> So there are at least three kinds of "snow days" in current English :
>
>  1.  a snowy day. [Presumably a nonlexicalized
> conversational phrase in use now and again for many decades
> - or longer.]
>
> 2. a notional day set aside during a school year for the
> possibility that classes might be canceled because of a
> snowstorm.  [In use and lexicalized since at least 1951.]
>
> 3. a day when classes are actually or a school closed owing
> to a snowstorm. [Whether or not a compensatory day will be
> added at the end of the school term. It's conceivable that
> classes might be canceled, but that staff is still expected
> to come to work.  In that case, students have a "snow day,"
> but staff does not. Lexicalized when ?]

4. extended uses--a day on which a company, etc., is closed
owing to a snowstorm; a day on which anything is closed due
to any kind of inclement weather; any unscheduled closing
of something normally open.

E.g.

2005 Wash. Post 25 Feb. A18, I am baffled by how many people
freak out because the city shuts down during bad weather. You
would think it is the end of the world if we have a snow
day. Maybe the real problem is that our city is full of
workaholics who can't handle the stress of staying home on a
workday.

2003 Wall St. Jrnl 20 Oct. A3 Were a major SARS outbreak to occur
in the U.S., the CDC plan envisions possible quarantines of people
exposed to SARS... 'Snow day' measures, such as closings of schools
and businesses, could be mandated.

Jesse Sheidlower
OED