"snow day" superstitions

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Thu Mar 3 21:24:49 UTC 2005

On Mar 3, 2005, at 10:13 AM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: "snow day" superstitions
> --------
>
> Interesting, Jesse.  This usage must have spread from administrators
> and teachers to pupils.
>
> When did it become part of the core vocabulary of American English ?
>
> JL

"*Core* vocabulary"? Isn't that a bit extreme? It's a part of the core
vocabulary of American English where snow is a problem, no doubt, but
probably nowhere else. The concept of "snow day," from my personal
experience is unknown in Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana, Missouri, and
Coastal California. I'd guess that "snow day" is likewise unknown in
the rest of the Deep South east of Louisiana.

-Wilson