dope

sagehen sagehen at WESTELCOM.COM
Tue Mar 8 16:07:08 UTC 2005

Jonathan Lighter writes:

What could be more passe' sounding than "pot" and "weed"?  Oh, I know !
"Grass."

JL
I'm wondering if even more passe than "grass"  is "dope" in an entirely
different sense:  that of information, the "gen," the "skinny," the "poop."
 Weren't racing forms sometimes called "dope sheets"?  Someone might say
"I'll send you the dope on how to sign up."
It was also a verb.  We used to say "I'm going to dope this out, " & sim.
to mean try to understand instructions, or translate or work out a puzzle.
A. Murie