"@" as Gender Wildcard in Spanish

Orion Montoya gorion at GMAIL.COM
Mon Mar 14 02:09:26 UTC 2005

All I can add is that is also common in Italian -- "qualcun@" and a
zillion others.  What search engine are you using to find these?

Other shorthands I've seen in Italian

x -- "per" (by/for) -- "xche" (this probably also works for spanish
"por" and french "par")

+ -- "piu" -- "+bici; +kaos" (more bikes; more chaos -- shout-outs of
a Milan bike "gang")

6 -- "sei" (you are) -- "Eva 6 bona"

Hmm... if I can dig up my copy of "Le Mille Lire Scritte" (an Italian
tollbooth worker's collection of things written on 1000 lire notes,
published in 1995) I could find more.  I could maybe get a decent
Verbatim article out of what I've been casually collecting on this.

O.