Gook (???) (1912)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Mon Mar 14 18:45:38 UTC 2005

I would have said "deenosou'rus" back when I was speaking Latin on a daily basis. Well, five days a week anyway.

"Dinosaurus" did not appear in any of our authors, however.

Pity.

JL
"Mark A. Mandel" <mamandel at LDC.UPENN.EDU> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: "Mark A. Mandel"
Subject: Re: Gook (???) (1912)

Jonathan Lighter observes:

Re "dinosourus." Walter Cronkite always says "dinosour." This is evidence
for the pronunciations antiquity. (Though come to think of it, so is
Cronkite.)
<<<<<

For what it's worth, "sour" is a much better Latin pronunciation of that
syllable than "sore"... although I doubt that they would have said "deeno-".

-- Dr. Whom, Consulting Linguist, Grammarian,
Orthoepist, and Philological Busybody
a.k.a. Mark A. Mandel
[This text prepared with Dragon NaturallySpeaking.]