change > change out

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Mar 15 12:08:29 UTC 2005

Yes indeed, but I can't give you a citation.  It's been noticeable for a couple of years at least.

JL

James C Stalker <stalker at MSU.EDU> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: James C Stalker
Subject: change > change out

My wife watches some of the redcorating TV shows, I think in hopes of
altering our house so that it is saleable. Whatever, and at any rate, she
pointed out a change out from to , as in "change out
the linens (instead of change the linens); or change out the window
treatments (yech) (instead of change the window treatments)". I railed and
ranted about interior decorator speak, and it not being legitimate mainstrem
language. Howsomeever and notwithstanding, I have noticed that I'm hearning
where I would expect to hear a simple . Unfortunately
for my career, I can't provide eamples. I've not been a careful linguist.
However, my question is, is anyone hearing where they would
expect ?

JCS