change > change out

Tue Mar 15 14:13:26 UTC 2005

Change can mean several things, including replace, but
also alter, revise, modify etc.  I understand
"change-out" to mean take an old, worn item and
replace it with a new but otherwise basically
identical item, i.e., change out an alternator, 126
first selector switches, a three-way electric light
switch, a power pole; no alteration of the receiving
environment is needed ...pull the old one out, put the
new one in, and voila.  This may or may not fit with
the use in the home makeover: "makeover" implies, to
me, modification, upgrading to something better and
upgrading everything in the immediate surroundings
while at it.  In the Odessa American article, the "126
first selector switches" were changed out but the
"inter-toll and toll transmission switches" required
modification.