twat+oogle

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Mar 17 22:18:06 UTC 2005

Seems to me that "sundries" are frequently advertised on the windows of general stores in old westerns.

At any rate, I am very familiar with the term, even if I've never heard it or used it.

JL

Wilson Gray <wilson.gray at RCN.COM> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Wilson Gray
Subject: Re: twat+oogle

Yes, I mean [ogl]. Unfortunately, it's been decades I was last in
Salt Lake City and I'll probably never go there, again. So, I'll
probably never see the mimicry. However, the mere thought of the
various and sundry ways in which the good judge could be mimicked or
parodied is worth a laugh all by itself.

FWIW, in my youth, neighborhood drugstores offered "sundries" for
sale. Otherwise, I've neither seen nor heard "sundry" used in the
plural.

Further FWIW, Eric P. Hamp once proposed an etymology of "twat" in
which he related it to the "thwait" in names like "Crossthwaite."

-Wilson Gray