Is there such a phenomenon as "undercorrection/hypocorrection?

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Fri Mar 18 04:48:48 UTC 2005

Some of you may be familiar with the phrase, "Shuckin' 'n' jivin'."
The first time that I heard this was on a record by the St. Louis
bluesman, Jimmy McCracklin (and yes, his name is pronounced "Jimmy
Mack Cracklin), some time in the '50's. He spoke the phrase as, "jes'
a-shuckin' an' a-jivin'." Unfortunately, I can't remember the name of
the song, so I can't track down the exact date of publication.

I also once heard someone say, "She was hidin' in the closet, jes' a-gigglin'!"

-Wilson Gray