"Spring forward/ahead, Fall back" (1957, by L.A. Examiner?)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Mar 20 10:15:04 UTC 2005

_Chicago Historical  Society Home Page_ (http://www.chicagohistory.org/)

... Get E-News, Coming April 28:  The Electronic Encyclopedia of Chicago! Did
you know  that CHS prepares a series of events just for members? ...
www.chicagohistory.org/ - 13k - _Cached_
(http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:5B_5uR-ETtcJ:www.chicagohistory.org/+"april+28"+and+"encyclopedia+of+chicago"
&hl=en&ie=UTF-8)  - _Similar pages_
(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=related:www.chicagohistory.org/)
<NO
<NOBR>I met with my sister to do our taxes together.  Earlier in the week,
she gave me a fax number. It was wrong. She also gave  me a time for the
Scarsdale train to take today. It was also wrong. "I was  tired," she said. It made m
<NO
<NOBR>So I took the train to Scarsdale. I decided to  buy a hard copy of the
New York Times to read about the "young  lexicograp And I thought, jeez, this
"hot dog" thing is  miserable, but that's just one thing. Tulsa World doesn't
believe or  publish Gerald Cohen when he says that the "Big Apple" doesn't
come from a  woman's vagina. And I thought, why not wait a couple of years, I'll
still be a piece of shit, and there will be a new article on a Sheidlower
daughter being the youngest dictionary editor ever. But you have to set  goals
for yourself, so I have this upcoming April 28th, as above, the next  date that
I will be plagiarized.
<NO
<NOBR>So I saw the accountant, and she doesn't ask me  if I got married
anymore, because the idea that anyone will ever like me  is out of the question.
But she asked if I made any money from writing,  and the answer was again "no."
The seasons may change, but you can bet  that I'll never be a human
<NO
<NO
<NOBR>------------------------------------------------------------------------
<NO
<NOBR>Does Fred Shapiro have "spring ahead/spring  forward, fall back"? It's
one of the most popular of American saying, but  is usually not  quotation
books.
<NO
<NOBR>Walter Winchell's 1957 citation of the Los  Angeles Examiner is
interesting. Did the Examiner coin
<NO
<NOBR>It's easy enough to check--we know what  spring and fall dates are. The
hard part is that I'll have  to visit the Library of Congress.
<N
<NO

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
_CITYSIDE  with GENE SHERMAN_
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=0&did=482312842&SrchMode=1&sid=14&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=11113
08754&clientId=65882)
Los Angeles Times (1886-Current  File). Los Angeles, Calif.: Apr 27, 1958. p.
A (1 page) :
TWICE A YEAR, as a public service, we revive the ultimate in mnemonics for
those who simply can't get it through their pointed little heads which way to
adjust their clocks for Daylight Saving Times. And today's the day. The shift
of  an hour occurs in spring and autumn. And all you have to do is form a
mental  image of an athletic alarm clock that "springs" ahead and "falls" back and
set  your watch accordingly.
_Formula  for Adjusting Clocks_
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=2&did=89184941&SrchMode=1&sid=16&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=1111
310949&clientId=65882)
WHITNEY H. SHEPARDSON..  New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.:
Apr  22, 1959. p. 32 (1 page) "
If we remember that we spring forward and fall back, we will move the hands
of our clocks in the right direction in the right season.

Thus bickering among dear friends will be avoided, tension will be greatly
reduced and the world will be a far happier place.

WHITNEY H. SHEPARDSON,
New York, April 20, 1959.
_CLOCKS  WILL MOVE AHEAD TOMORROW; Much of U. S. to Observe Daylight Saving
Time  -Reversion Due Oct. 25 ENTIRE STATE SHIFTING Radio and TV Schedules Are
Unaffected -- Transport Lines Revise Tables _
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=0&did=83683739&SrchMode=1&sid=15&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VNam
e=HNP&TS=1111310340&clientId=65882)
New York  Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Apr 25, 1959. p. 23 (1
page)  :
For those who cannot remember when to push forward and when back, a reader
sends in this suggestion:

"If we remember that we spring forward and fall back we will move the hands
of our clocks in the right direction in the right season."
_TOWER  TICKER_
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=1&did=567296762&SrchMode=1&sid=15&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=1111310554&clientId
=65882)
Herb Lyon. Chicago  Daily Tribune (1872-1963). Chicago, Ill.: Apr 24, 1960.
p. 8 (1 page)  :
And Eddie [B&K] Seguin has this timely daylight saving tip on how to
remember which way to turn the clock: Spring forward. Fall back!
_Clocks  Go Ahead One Hour Tonight To Save Daylight_
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=1&did=106963185&SrchMode=1&sid=14&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT
=309&VName=HNP&TS=1111310014&clientId=65882)
New York  Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Apr 25, 1964. p. 31 (1
page)  :
The twice-a-year clock-changing ritual often causes puzzlement, but one
saying that some people have found useful goes: "Spring ahead, fall back."
_Clocks  Put Ahead For Daylight Time_
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=2&did=121582542&SrchMode=1&sid=14&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&
TS=1111310210&clientId=65882)
New York Times (1857-Current  file). New York, N.Y.: Apr 24, 1966. p. 1 (1
page) :
In accordance with that old memory aid, "Spring ahead and fall back,"  clocks
are advanced one hour.
(NEWSPAPERARCHIVE)
     _Zanesville Signal _
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Viewer.aspx?img=MHMeTXbgRjuKID/6NLMW2pES3r5tif5IlCoeBF63m7yd5XSGz6G6XQ==)  Wednesday, October
16, 1957 _Zanesville,_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=city:zanesville+daylight+saving+and+fall+back+AND)  _Ohio_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=state:ohio+daylight+saving+and+fall+back+AND)
...clock ahead or BACK  "Spring forward, FALL BACK." Leslie Osborne of
London.....Yorkers AND other easterners who enjoy DAYLIGHT  SAVING Time until
October's end..
Pg. 4, col. 1:
Along Broadway by Walter Winchell
New Yorkers and other easterners who enjoy Daylight Savings Time until
October's end are recommended to the Los Angeles Examiner's clever and simple
four-word memo to put the clock ahead or back..."Spring forward, Fall  back."
     _Reno Evening Gazette _
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Viewer.aspx?img=9OTicI1+LyyKID/6NLMW2uHnitjsHvIGR+pIdhM6uHDHiBf35r4+zA==)  Saturday, April
29, 1961 _Reno,_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=city:reno+daylight+saving+and+fall+back+AND)  _Nevada_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=state:nevada+daylight+saving+and+fall+back+AND)      ...this
formula: "Spring  forward; FALL BACK" fts.f Today President Kennedy.....AS A
last-minute reminder, DAYLIGHT SAVING Time goes into effect  Sunday. AND..