Peacemaker Sandwich; Dirt Pie; Sidewalk Superintendent

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Mar 20 11:52:07 UTC 2005

PEACEMAKER & DIRT PIE
Sorry if the right-hand column of my left post got cut off.
Jacques-Imo's opened in New Orleans in 1996. In February 2004, it opened at
Columbus Avenue and 77th Street, bringing a little of New Orleans to New York.
 In December, "Jacques-Imo's To Geaux" (maybe a French scholar on the list
can  translate this) opened at Grand Central Terminal. I tried it yesterday.
The menu includes these:
Shrimp & Alligator Sausage Cheesecake
Jambalaya
Smoked Chicken & Andouille Gumbo
Red Beans & Rice
The "Peacemaker" Po' Boy
Shrimp Creole
Smothered Blackened Chicken
Crawfish Etoufee
Corn Macquechoux
Jacque's Famous Dirt Pie
Beugnets
I've posted on "dirt cake" here before, but not "dirt pie." I'll do it
again, maybe later.
DARE has nothing on "peacemaker"? Will the OED have anything? Is this  really
a classic New Orleans sandwich, older than some others?
(NEWSPAPERARCHIVE)
    _Capital _
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Viewer.aspx?img=++xTpPwvmwuKID/6NLMW2lYkxDF6Vmwrpd0fq7GIxtcCsxlyF69hZkIF+CsZYmrz)  Friday, January 25, 1991
_Annapolis,_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=city:annapolis+peace+maker+sandwich)  _Maryland_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=state:maryland+peace+maker+sandwich)
...Jumbo Extra Large Large  S67V. PEACE MAKER SANDWICH H cap cream fir
tpruOing.....Otter Eqrint2r11R1 WK WISH FOR PEACE 2019 WEST  ANNAPOLIS 224-8686
lues..
Pg. 5, col.  1:

PEACE MAKER (SUPER SANDWICH RECOPE)
1 loaf Italian bread
8 slices bacon
1/2 cup sour cream
1.2 pint (8 ounces)
shucked Maryland
OYSTERS, drained
flour for sprinkling
2 medium tomatoes
salt and pepper to taste
1 teaspoon horseradish

Slice bread lengthwise, scoop out soft bread. Fry bacon, remove and drain.
Sprinkle oysters with flour and fry in bacon fat. Remove and keep warm. Slice
tgomatoes and cook in remaining bacon fat. Place cooked bacon, oysters and
tomatoes in bread. Cut bread diagonally. Mix sour cream and horseradish and
serve as a sauce. Makes 4 servings.
Maryland Watermen's Co-op

DIRT PIE
DIRT CAKE--12,600 Google hits, 278 Google Groups hits
DIET PIE--640 Google hits, 52 Google Groups hits
..
SIDEWALK SUPERINTENDENT
This is mentioned in Sunday's New York Times, city section, FYI. I'll
research "sidewalk superintendent" later, or someone else can.
_http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/20/nyregion/thecity/20fyicol.html_
(http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/20/nyregion/thecity/20fyicol.html)
     F.Y.I.
A Rockefeller Club
By _MICHAEL POLLAK_
(http://query.nytimes.com/search/query?ppds=bylL&v1=MICHAEL POLLAK&fdq=19960101&td=sysdate&sort=newest&ac=MICHAEL
POLLAK&inline=nyt-per)

Published: March 20,  2005
. While watching the excavation for the Bank of  America building at 42nd
Street and the Avenue of the Americas, I became  curious about "sidewalk
superintendents," those people who watch the  construction. Is that a New York term?
A. He may not have originated the expression, but John D.  Rockefeller Jr.
made it popular during the Depression, when looking at  work was a cheap
alternative to looking for work.
Legend has it that Mr. Rockefeller, who loved to watch the construction  of
the complex that bore his name, once stopped at the entrance to a  trucking
ramp, only to be told: "Keep moving, buddy. You can't stand here  all day."
His response, in November 1938, was the Sidewalk Superintendents' Club,  a
wooden shed on Rockefeller Plaza between 48th and 49th Streets, complete  with
free membership cards.
The trucking ramp story has a nice egalitarian ring to it, but it was  just a
legend, according to Daniel Okrent in "Great Fortune: The Epic of
Rockefeller Center" (Viking, 2003). He wrote that the idea apparently came  from a
platform for kibitzers in Des Moines and was apparently picked up  by Nelson A.
Rockefeller, Junior's son.
Whatever the source, the publicity stunt caught on, three-quarters of a
million membership cards were handed out in the first three months, and  soon
there were national affiliates - from Hollywood, Fort Worth and  elsewhere - who
passed time kibitzing at their local sites
(OED)
3.  Comb., as sidewalk cafe, skate,  song,  tree;  sidewalk superintendent
joc.  (chiefly U.S.), an idler who watches and gives unsolicited advice  at
construction works, road repairs, etc.;
...1940  Sun (Baltimore) 30 Mar. 20/7 The walk..is covered so that the
sidewalk  superintendents can meet in rainy weather. 1970  _R. P. WARREN_
(http://dictionary.oed.com/help/bib/oed2-w.html#r-p-warren)  Incarnations 46  Sidewalk
superintendents turn now From their  duties and at you stare. 1976 A. CASSORLA
Skateboarder's Bible 9 Weird-wheeling sidewalk surfers can be seen whipping
over  the blacktop from Reno to Rio de  Janeiro.