A Diller, A Dollar (1955) (continued)

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Wed Mar 30 20:36:42 UTC 2005

On Mar 30, 2005, at 9:18 PM, Robert Fitzke wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Robert Fitzke <fitzke at MICHCOM.NET>
> Subject:      Re: A Diller, A Dollar (1955) (continued)
> --------
>
> The Verse seems to support the notion the author was turning lemons
> into
> lemonade. Laine's version changes "Takes trouble...." to "Always take
> my
> troubles with a great big smile" then "Just 'cause I'm always handy,
> Always
> feelin' fine and dandy, That is...."
>
> Did you get anything about the author?

Damn! I didn't think about that at all. Hm. I'll see what I can find
out. BTW, if I remember what I read correctly, way, way back when, Bing
Crosby did a version of this in which he was backed up by the Mills
Brothers. Der Bingle sang the "dirty" version, with the Brothers
backgrounding him with a cleaned-up version. Weird, even if not true.
*Really* weird, if true.

-Wilson Gray