A Diller, A Dollar (1955) (continued)

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Wed Mar 30 21:51:35 UTC 2005

When I lived in Los  Angeles, Andy Razaf lived around the corner from
me on Country Club Drive, next door to my girl friend's best friend.
Nat "King" Cole lived a couple of blocks away, primarily because he
wasn't allowed to buy a house in Beverly Hills and this area, the
Wilshire District - west of Western Ave, east of West Los Angeles and
north of Pico Blvd,, was as close as the colored could get. This was
back in the old days, when no amount of yellow could change black into
white. (Supposedly, there's a Brazilian saying to the effect that
"yellow," i.e. gold, money, "changes black into white.")  According to
a recent map in the NYT Sunday Travel section, this neighborhood is now
Little Korea. In any case, this Madagascarene story is brand-new to me.
In the 'Fifties, at least, the story was that Razaf was a full-blooded
- whatever that may mean - Ethiopian, according to black publications
of the day, e.g. Ebony, Sepia, Our World, etc.

-Wilson Gray