Nursery Rhyme Query

Sam Clements SClements at NEO.RR.COM
Tue May 3 00:07:01 UTC 2005

>From the archives:

Date:         Mon, 14 Mar 2005 14:51:22 -0800
From:         Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Swats was RE: adjective "Christian"

OED has "paddywhack," as "a severe beating, a violent blow" from an English
dial. source as recent as 1898.  "Paddywhack" was another of my
grandmother's words, from NYC about 1895 or a little later. It must be
significantly older than that in American use.

As I heard it, it was a punitive swat with the hand on a child's rear end,
certainly not a "severe beating" or "violent blow."

And certainly its use was at least influenced by "paddle," if not descended
directly from (unattested?) "paddle whack."

OED also instances the song "This Old Man" from the 1920s.  Neither
grandparent was familiar with this when I brought it home from school about
1958.