Nursery Rhyme Query

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Tue May 3 01:49:18 UTC 2005

On May 2, 2005, at 8:07 PM, Sam Clements wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Sam Clements <SClements at NEO.RR.COM>
> Subject:      Re: Nursery Rhyme Query
> --------
>
> From the archives:
>
> Date:         Mon, 14 Mar 2005 14:51:22 -0800
> From:         Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM>
> Subject:      Re: Swats was RE: adjective "Christian"
>

> OED has "paddywhack," as "a severe beating, a violent blow" from an
> English
> dial. source as recent as 1898.  "Paddywhack" was another of my
> grandmother's words, from NYC about 1895 or a little later. It must be
> significantly older than that in American use.
>
> As I heard it, it was a punitive swat with the hand on a child's rear
> end,
> certainly not a "severe beating" or "violent blow."
>
> And certainly its use was at least influenced by "paddle," if not
> descended
> directly from (unattested?) "paddle whack."
>
> OED also instances the song "This Old Man" from the 1920s.  Neither
> grandparent was familiar with this when I brought it home from school
> about
> 1958.

I know this only as a popular song, from the early or middle '70's,
IIRC. I wasted a lot of psychic energy trying not too hear the words,
because it was one of those accursed, devil-send songs that you can't
get out of your mind. I had no idea that its origin was as a nursery
rhyme.

BTW, guys, thank you for bringing it all back. With any luck, I'll have
the tune and the words out of my mind again by the end of the  month.
;-) Oh, well. I guess it's not all bad. I now understand why the damned
words didn't quite make sense, at least.

-Wilson Gray