negation + "including" (dangling modifier for free)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu May 5 16:12:27 UTC 2005

If anyone is really interested in this from a theoretical/empirical
direction, there have been a number of publications by Linda Moxey
and Tony Sanford, including their book _Communicating Quantities_
(1993), on what they call "Comp-set" as opposed to "Ref-set"
reference, i.e. cases in which the reference is to the complement of
the set specified ("Few of the students passed, because they [= the
ones who didn't] hadn't taken the test seriously" vs. "Many of the
students passed, because they [=/= the ones who didn't]...).

Larry