Sideburns (1882)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Mon May 16 05:05:39 UTC 2005

My grandmother always called ordinary sideburns "sideboards."  The Ambrose Burnside variety (truly a historical curiosity in the '50s) were "muttonchops."

JL

bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: bapopik at AOL.COM
Subject: Sideburns (1882)

I've always been interested in the Americanisms "Burnsides" and "sideburns." I always thought the CHicago papers would help. A quick check.
(OED)
side-burn [alteration of BURNSIDE, after side-hair, etc.] orig. U.S., a short side-whisker; usu. pl.; hence
1887 Chicago Jrnl. 1 Aug., McGarigle has his mustache and small *sideburns still on. 1936 G. GREENE Journey without Maps II. iv. 197 He was..handsome in his native robe and his sideburns. 1977 ‘J. LE CARRÉ’ Hon. Schoolboy xii. 264 Cy..had sideburns and..looked like a Mormon missionary.
(NEWSPAPERARCHIVE)
Fort Wayne Daily Gazette Tuesday, July 04, 1882 Fort Wayne, Indiana
...Mr. Olenn when yon He shaved offhis SIDEBURNS before he left I am so he..

The Republican Monday, August 01, 1887 Waukesha, Wisconsin
...has his imis- t nehe and small SIDEBURNS still on and looks bronzed..

The Keystone Courier Friday, April 06, 1883 Connellsville, Pennsylvania
...heavy and wears, a block mustache and SIDEBURNS. About a your and a half ago..

The Daily Gazette Wednesday, June 23, 1886 Colorado Springs, Colorado
...3 height 5 feet block mbustache and SIDEBURNS. Tutf him atougfo tho public..

The Massillion Independent Friday, August 12, 1887 Massillon, Ohio
...his face, leaving the mustache and SIDEBURNS, but ciiUing oil1 the goalee..

The Marion Daily Star Friday, April 14, 1882 Marion, Ohio
...is handsome snd has black hsiraod and SIDE- BURNS. James resembles his but ie..

Bradford Era Monday, August 01, 1887 Bradford, Pennsylvania
...M'Cariyle has his moos.ache and smo.ll SIDE-BURNS still on and looks bronzed.....and a who made ior the Caonda SIDE. McGarigle landed at Point Edward..