"Leader DeLay"??? What's up with that?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue May 17 14:38:48 UTC 2005

At 11:50 PM -0400 5/16/05, James C Stalker wrote:
>Your student might also include "darlin'", depending on region.  A friend in
>Louisville always addresses female waitrons/servers/etc. as "darlin'."
>Deducing illocutionary force from conversations with him, "darlin'" ranges
>across polite insistence on relative power to downright derision.  There is
>a line from a country song, which I can't retrieve right now, something
>like, "don't call me darlin' darlin', you don't even know my name."

It was "You don't have to call me darlin', darlin'/You never call me
by my name", by David Allen Coe.    ("You don't have to call me
Waylon Jennings/You don't have to call me Charlie Pride/You don't
have to call me Merle Haggard anymore/Even though you're on my
fightin' side".)   He was a weird one, was old David Allen, a.k.a.
The Long-Haired Redneck.  I have that album around somewhere.  His
other classics include "Shackles and Chains", "Please Come to
Boston", "Storms Never Last", and "Take This Job and Shove It", along
with some more obscure ditties--"Laid Back and Wasted", "Don't Bite
the Dick", "Cum Stains on the Pillow", and the memorably recursive
"Drinkin' to Forget What I'm Drinkin' to Forget".

Larry