wildflowers and weeds (was Re: Eggcorn?)

Wed May 18 02:13:35 UTC 2005

On May 17, 2005, at 6:48 PM, Benjamin Zimmer wrote:

> On Tue, 17 May 2005 17:24:06 -0700, Arnold M. Zwicky
> <zwicky at CSLI.STANFORD.EDU> wrote:
>

>> On May 17, 2005, at 11:24 AM, Dennis R. Preston asked me:
>>

>>> Could you warn us about this with some other name?
>>>
>>> houttuynia cordata
>>>
>>> dInIs, who'd like to keep this crap out of his garden, but don't
>>> know
>>> what it is
>>>

>> it doesn't have a "common name", remarkably enough.
>>

> Don't know how "common" these names are...
>
> -----
> http://www.plantnames.unimelb.edu.au/Sorting/Houttuynia.html

my goodness, the internet can be wonderful.

> Chinese lizard tail,  Fish mint, Fish plant,  Fishwort, Heartleaf ,
> Himalayan spinach, Lizard's tail, Edible houttuynia, Heartleaf
> houttuynia,
> Vietnamese fish plant, White chaplu, Wild houttuynia.
> -----

ah, the fish theme.  that's certainlyt part of the smell -- like
southeast asian fish sauce.  plus coriander.  not a lot of citrus.
or mint.

not really spinach-like, but it *is* a green.

> I bet Barry has some of these names in his files.

arnold