"Is Brooklyn still in the league?" (1934); OT: My salami on Fleshbot.com

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed May 18 06:34:34 UTC 2005

"IS BROOKLYN STILL IN THE LEAGUE?"
I'll check for the exact quote if Fred wants it. It's  given as "Are the
dodgers still in the leage?" and "Is Brooklyn still in the  league?" and
"Brooklyn? Are they still in the league?" The date is January 24 or  25 or 26, 1934. I
thought I'd find it in the New York Times, but it's a little  late there.
(GOOGLE)
_http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/la/history/timeline05.jsp_
(http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/la/history/timeline05.jsp)
Jan. 24, 1934: Giants skipper Bill Terry flippantly asks  "Brooklyn? Is
Brooklyn still in the league?"
_http://www.baseballlibrary.com/baseballlibrary/ballplayers/T/Terry_Bill.stm_
(http://www.baseballlibrary.com/baseballlibrary/ballplayers/T/Terry_Bill.stm)
_January  25, 1934_
(http://www.baseballlibrary.com/baseballlibrary/chronology/1934JANUARY.stm#day25) : Bill Terry, Giants manager, in  an interview with
New York newspapermen, asks, "Is Brooklyn still in the  league?" The jest
boomerangs as the Dodgers will rise in wrath at the season's  end.
..
_http://members.aol.com/Jaybird926/1934race.htm_
(http://members.aol.com/Jaybird926/1934race.htm)

The Pennant Race of 1934
"Terry held court on the Giants chances for 1934, which were widely  viewed
as excellent. Terry then named Pittsburgh, Chicago, St. Louis and Boston  as
other threats to dethrone the Giants.
'What about Brooklyn, Bill?' asked Roscoe McGowen, who covered the Dodgers
for the New York Times.
'Brooklyn?' asked Terry, gently teasing McGowen. 'I haven't heard anything
from them lately. Are they still in the league?'
- From The  Giants of the Polo Grounds, by Noel Hynd.

____________________________________
At the end of the 1933 season, the New York Giants and  their fans were
sitting on top of the baseball world. The Giants had just won  just won the World
Series over the Washington Senators 4 games to 1.
In the following February, baseball executives and managers were gathered in
New York for the winter meetings. A host of reporters surrounded Bill Terry,
the  Giants confident manager and star first baseman. Terry had joined the
Giants in  1924 and had been a key ingredient in their success. The wise
player-manager had  blistered National League pitching in 1930, batting a record
setting 401 with  254 hits. Yes, hitting was inflated that year but Terry's 401
mark led the  league. Terry would end up his great career with a 341 lifetime
average and was  elected to the Hall of Fame in 1951. But as things turned out,
1934 would prove  to be a year Bill Terry would rather forget.
It all started when one of those reporters asked him who he thought might
contend with the Giants that coming year. Terry mentioned the Pirates, the Cubs
and the Cards. A reporter who covered the Dodgers said, "Brooklyn, what about
 Brooklyn Bill?" The Dodgers were perennial cellar-dwellers and had again
finished in last place the year before so we can imagine that this was one of
those iron fists in a velvet glove questions reporters so often ask.
"Brooklyn?" Terry replied, "Are they still in the league?"
Terry and the reporters smiled.
The next day the New York press "duly reported the remark."
Terry's answer to the question seemed harmless and innocent enough at the
time, but oh, did it ever inspired hundreds of angry letters from Brooklyn fans.
 And what a bonanza for the newspapers in Brooklyn. No one knew it at the
time,  but Terry's question - "Are they still in the league?" - was already on
its way  to becoming one of baseball's most famous questions.

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)

.
5.
_DODGERS  AFTER GIANTS' SCALP; Terry's Wise Crack Causes Anguish at Brooklyn
Carey,  Quinn to Concentrate on New York Rivals Flatbush Club Fails to Add to
Playing Strength _
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=4&did=393197371&SrchMode=1&sid=5&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=1116396125&client
Id=65882)
Los Angeles Times (1886-Current  File). Los Angeles, Calif.: Jan 27, 1934. p.
A8 (1 page) :
Somebody asked the Giants manager the other day what he thought of  the
Dodgers.
"The Dodgers," Bill replied, "are they still in the  league?"

OT: MY SALAMI IS ON FLESHBOT.COM
My website got over 3,700 hits just yesterday. A lot of the hits came from
fleshbot.com. It seems they linked to my article "Send a Salami to Your Boy  in
the Army."
It's not often that my meat gets mentioned on a website with Paris  Hilton.
_http://www.fleshbot.com/sex/straight/found/_ (http:/
/www.fleshbot.com/sex/straight/found/)