"Foodstore" (was Re: Eggcorn?)

Roger Shuy rshuy at MONTANA.COM
Wed May 18 23:06:33 UTC 2005

on 5/18/05 4:39 PM, FRITZ JUENGLING at juengling_fritz at SALKEIZ.K12.OR.US
wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       FRITZ JUENGLING <juengling_fritz at SALKEIZ.K12.OR.US>
> Subject:      Re: "Foodstore" (was Re: Eggcorn?)

--> -

> I remember Edith complaining to Archie about Gloria not being able to go or do
> 'marketing.'  How much Edith et al. truly represented NY speech, I don't know.
> Fritz

> And groshry.
>
> BTW, does anybody still "do the marketing" instead of "going grocery
> shopping"?  I associate this use of "marketing" with my grandmother and her
> sisters, who grew up in Indian Territory/Oklahoma, so I don't know if it
> was regional or generational.  (And it's too far to get to the nearest copy
> of DARE just now.)
>
> Peter
>
> --On Wednesday, May 18, 2005 2:46 PM -0700 FRITZ JUENGLING
> <juengling_fritz at SALKEIZ.K12.OR.US> wrote:
>
>> Yea, gross-ry

>>> foodstore.
>>> Fritz
>>
>> Re: "pronounced groshery"
>>
>> Like, there exists another pronunciation? ;-)

> Peter A. McGraw       Linfield College        McMinnville, Oregon

DARE says marketing is: Shopping, esp for groceries. Scattered, but esp east
of the Missip R
The instances listed on the map shows that it seems to be more in the north
than south

LANE (1943)  says: marketing differs from other terms in that it usually
refers specifically to the purchasing of food

Roger