"Foodstore" (was Re: Eggcorn?)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Thu May 19 12:18:09 UTC 2005

The Bunkers always sounded real to me.  My grandmother often talked about "doing some marketing," though less often than "buying some groceries."

"Marketing" referred to grocery stores only.

JL

FRITZ JUENGLING <juengling_fritz at SALKEIZ.K12.OR.US> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: FRITZ JUENGLING
Subject: Re: "Foodstore" (was Re: Eggcorn?)

I remember Edith complaining to Archie about Gloria not being able to go or do 'marketing.' How much Edith et al. truly represented NY speech, I don't know.
Fritz

>>> pmcgraw at LINFIELD.EDU 05/18/05 03:04PM >>>
And groshry.

BTW, does anybody still "do the marketing" instead of "going grocery
shopping"? I associate this use of "marketing" with my grandmother and her
sisters, who grew up in Indian Territory/Oklahoma, so I don't know if it
was regional or generational. (And it's too far to get to the nearest copy
of DARE just now.)

Peter

--On Wednesday, May 18, 2005 2:46 PM -0700 FRITZ JUENGLING
wrote:

> Yea, gross-ry

>> foodstore.
>> Fritz
>
> Re: "pronounced groshery"
>
> Like, there exists another pronunciation? ;-)

Peter A. McGraw Linfield College McMinnville, Oregon