Siamese Connection (1879, 1884); Underdog (1884)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu May 19 08:57:07 UTC 2005

SIAMESE CONNECTION
I haven't looked all through the Fireman's Journal. It's probably  earlier.
23 August 1884, The Fireman's Journal, pg. 156 ad:
SIAMESE CONNECTIONS.

Large streams are the demand of the day, and in no way can they be made so
effective as by the use of our Siamese.

By use of a bend or elbow we connect the pipe directly to the Siamese,
dispensing with all intervening hose, and by the aid of this simple device TWO  MEN
can easily control a 2-inch stream, a point of excellence that all Firemen
will readily appreciate.

We furnish our Siamese with two, three and four inlets, also with and
without pipes.

ANDREW J> MORSE & SON,
Manufacturers Fire Department Supplies
140 CONGRESS ST., BOSTON
(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
_MEN  WHO FIGHT FIRE.; PROCEEDINGS OF THE CONVENTION OF ENGINEERS IN SESSION
HERE. A  Pleasant Visit to Mount Vernon -- Important Topics Discussed at the
Business  Session -- The Best: Methods of Conquering the Flames -- Exhibition
To-day. _
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=0&did=276401282&SrchMode=1&sid=3&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=1116492675&clientId=65882)
The Washington Post (1877. Sep 11, 1879. p. 4 (1  page)
The committee on topic No. 16, on "The advantages of Siamese hose,"  reported
in favor of all well-equipped departments having Siamese connections;
adopted.
(OED)
Siamese, a. and n.
    c. Siamese coupling, a form of coupling used for  fire-hose. Also Siamese
connection.

1891  Scribner's Mag. Jan. 63/2 The  siamese coupling, by which the power of
two or more engines may be united on one  hose. 1914 J. KENLON Fires &
Firefighters xxii. 322 A length of three-inch hose is attached to the pipe and
strapped  to the ladder with a siamese connection on the  ground.
UNDERDOG, CHEW SMOKE
For what it's worth.
13 September 1884,The Fireman's Journal, pg. 215, col. 1:
There are many who think that should a vacancy occur in the chiefship,
District Engineer John W. Regan is entitled to it from his long years of
successful fire fighting, and in a firemanlike manner on this subject we shall  have to
side with the "under dog."
(...)
"He may be a good fellow, and all that," said one, "but the foreman of
Engine Company No. 3 should be a man who can chew smoke, and, in justice to  those
who had to earn their way by chewing smoke, it certainly belongs to one of
them."
(OED)
underdog

The beaten dog in a fight;  fig. the party overcome or worsted in a contest;
one who is in a state of  inferiority or subjection.

1887 Daily Tel. 30 Apr.  3/3 There is an indefinable expression in his face
and figure of  having been vanquished, of having succumbed, of having been ‘
under-dog’ as the  saying is. 1892 Daily  Chron. 23 June 5/2 The mission of the
Democratic  party is to fight for the  under-dog.