"testicular virility"

Thu May 19 08:50:35 UTC 2005

We discussed the jokey euphemism "testicular fortitude" not too long ago,
but here's an odd twist...

-----
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=768787

Illinois Governor Defends Offbeat Boast
The Associated Press

May. 18, 2005 - Gov. Rod Blagojevich is defending his use of the phrase
"testicular virility" to describe his ability to make tough decisions.

The remark prompted both laughter and complaints that it was sexist and an
undignified thing for a governor to say.

But Blagojevich called such objections "complete baloney."

"I think the people understand that means: Do you have the fortitude if
you're a man or a woman in leadership to put the people first?" he said
Wednesday. "It's all about having the fortitude to fight for the people."

Blagojevich made the remark Monday in explaining his decision to
temporarily close a landfill run by a distant relative of his wife.

"This is the kind of thing that I think frankly separates the men from the
boys in leadership. Do you have the testicular virility to make a decision
like that, knowing what's coming you're way?" Blagojevich said then. "I
say I do."
-----

As this piece in the Illinois Leader notes, "it's ironic that the Governor
did not have the testicular virility to say 'balls'."

http://www.illinoisleader.com/news/newsview.asp?c=25592

--Ben Zimmer